Monday, September 11, 2006

Education's Irony

Ha! I'm back, with two papers down. So I was actually thinking during my 3 hour math paper today, what justifies two years of hard work, two years of time spent in the Junior College, a place where many desire to enter but end up with nothing but regrets and definitely the depressing moments of horrible results?

A three hour paper (two and a half for certain papers). Not a very fair investment is it? There always exists the risk of unexpected circumstances isn't it? Isn't it a little ridiculous that all the hard work will be decided by just a couple of hours? Personally, I am strongly against such a practice.

Anyway, I was British educated for a while, in an international school. A levels there were entirely different. Or should I say education was entirely different. Apart from the usual coursework activities and science experiments that lasted a few weeks, everything was pretty much well evenly spread out. A level Examinations were taken in modules, and if one did badly in a single module, it could be arranged by the college for a re-examination (for a particular module, not the entire paper). FLEXIBILITY is the word and I greatly emphasize it. The Flexibility of education that has led many to do well, under their own conditions and at their own timing.

The Singaporean DID TRY TO adapt the British, but the poor adaptation has led to a condemnation of it. Supposedly a method of education where students learn through EXPERIENCE and RESEARCH, it has turned out to be the greatest irony of MEMORY WORK and REGURGITATION OF DATA(I insist on the word data, not information). Many of us would be very well acquainted with SPA (School-based Practical Assessment)

The SPA, is of course another practice which not only I, but about 99% of the current JC cohort is very well against. SPA in British educated institutions took place over a couple of weeks, with the usual skills tested. However, the end product was a 15-20 page scientific report, which will as usual, contribute to the final grade one gets at the GCE Examinations. In Singapore, YOU OPENLY OBSERVE STUDENTS MEMORIZING ANSWERS HALF AN HOUR BEFORE ENTERING THE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION VENUE. Look, what an adaptation it has turned out to be.

British SPA - 4 skills tested (Planning, Observation, Analysis, Evaluation), | 4 weeks duration, over 8 lessons | Open for discussion and self research | 15-20 pages scientific report

Singaporean SPA - 4 skills tested (Planning, Observation, Analysis, Evaluation), | 1 hour duration (for each skill) | No discussion, no research BUT memorization of answer scripts | Guided report of less than 3 pages (MEMORIZED OF COURSE)

I am unsure on whether it is I who is providing a biased view but I refuse to accept the Singaporean education system, for one reason or another. Do not get me wrong, as a Singaporean, I have my love for my home and it is here, I found love. But certain implementations have and should set us thinking on our next step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home